USURP is the Ultimate Sage Universal Remote Project.
(It was originally just going to be SURP, but I found a billion search results referring to ‘Summer Undergraduate Research Program’ for SURP, so I wanted to avoid it)
This project has several purposes:
1) To turn your laptop into a universal remote control.
2) To give college students a fun project for the summer.
3) To build a community of people dedicated to understanding and manipulating IR signals.
What do I need to make it work?
1) a Laptop with Windows XP (other OS’s to be supported soon)
2) Audacity 1.3.x (optional – only for adding your own remote)
3) AutoHotKey (optional – only for adding your own remote in style)
4) A way to input/output IR signals from your laptop.
There are several ways to accomplish item number 4. We’ll be discussing the easiest way of doing it ($10 in parts from radioshack, a soldering gun, and the ability to follow directions) in the next post.
The controller program (written in VB 6) is located below: